One of the best things about winter is the availability of storage crops. I'm speaking about vegetables you can buy on a whim from the market, bring home, promptly forget about in the hinterland of your fridge, then rediscover with joy on a rainy afternoon when leaving the house seems like the most disgusting idea.
I think I've mentioned that I used to abhor all squashes. My original judgement was based on a mushy, graceless squash experience, probably with brown sugar dropped on top like it was the only possible friendly flavor. But no! Now the doorway to squash flavors has been flung open for me. Limitations: minimal.
Cue this simple squash treatment. Firstly, my choice of squash: not quite an acorn, this one. Somewhere between an acorn and a delicata. I wouldn't recommend eating the skin, sadly, but the interior is a bit fluffier than a typical acorn, which is usually more hefty. If you have a kabocha lying around, that would be fabulous.
Next: the sauce. Really simple. If your available miso has a different flavor profile, feel free to slightly adjust the vinegar level. It's about you here.
I've been devouring these as part of my lunches, and would point you in the direction of pairing with something acidic, like a pickle of some sort. Add to rice, fish, eggs, or mushrooms. You won't lose.
Tool recommendations: a hefty, sharp knife and a bit of careful hacking. Your fingers are not an element of this meal.
Miso Roasted Winter Squash
Nutty winter squash roasted with a tangy and refreshing miso and white wine vinegar marinade.
- 1 small acorn squash (or similar)
For Sauce:
- 2 t. light miso
- 2 t. white wine vinegar
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1/2 t. soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Quarter your squash and remove the seeds (reserve for roasting if desired).
- Combine all sauce ingredients and mix furiously to combine, then place spoonfuls of sauce in the small pockets of the squash. Spread some on the sides with your spoon or finger (some will not stick).
- Roast 40-60 minutes or until soft on parchment or silpat. If you don't use a liner, the sauce may stick and char on the sheet tray. Let cool (or not), sprinkle sea salt and enjoy.
I love the idea of miso. I bought some for an appetizer then didn't know what else to do with it. Love that you put it on one of my favorite dishes, roasted Acorn Squash. Would love for you to share on Thursdays Treasures. http://fooddonelight.com/thursdays-treasures-week-63/
ReplyDeleteHi Food Done Light,
Deletethanks, the squash and miso went great together. I've done a lot of experimenting with miso in the last year--I even put it in dark chocolate truffles. Surprisingly delicious! I'd love to share on your blog, just let me know how! :)