Saturday, November 24, 2012

Split Pea and Vegetable Stew




Did you have a nice Thanksgiving? I hope it was full of happy bellies. Mine, sad to say, ended with a bout of food poisoning (though, not due to improperly prepared food—a snack I partook of apparently had a lot of monosodium glutamate in it, and for whatever reason (I'll blame the wine) I neglected to remember that I am sensitive to MSG). Thus...a lot of regrets later. I won't give you the details (this is a yummy blog, not an appetite destroyer!), but I will say that making this stew the night after being sickly really helped my stomach feel at ease. If you're feeling the need for a little "healthier fare" post-Thanksgiving feasting, you might find this a good choice as well.


It's the heartiest, simplest, most loving stew you might make. Chicken soup, eat your heart out.
You could make it vegetarian...but in this case, bacon makes it better. I will definitely vouch for that one.


Tools recommended: a big pot.



Split Pea and Vegetable Stew


Recipe by Cowen Park Kitchen
A wholesome cure-all stew for rainy nights.

Ingredients
  • 1 c. dried green split peas
  • 6 1/2 c. water (more if needed)
  • 1/3 c. small diced carrots
  • 1/4 c. small diced celery
  • 1/4 c. small diced red onion
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped leek
  • 3/4 c. finely chopped mushroom
  • 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 1/4 c. cubed lardons or bacon plus 2 t. oil or fat if needed
  • kosher salt and pepper, to taste
Method
  1. Chop all vegetables.
  2. Saute lardons or bacon on medium low heat to release all their fats. Make sure most has rendered, then add vegetables and slightly increase heat. If more fat is needed, supplement with bacon fat, butter, or oil.
  3. Cook vegetables until softened and very aromatic.
  4. Add split peas and mix thoroughly to coat with flavor, then add water. You may start with five or so cups and add more throughout cooking if you'd like. Make sure level of water is slightly above lentil line, at least. If you'd like a thinner soup, add more liquid. Keep in mind the soup will greatly thicken upon sitting.
  5. Cook until split peas are partially mushing into stew.
  6. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Garnish with parsley if desired.

2 comments:

  1. With the recent cold front that blew down to Louisiana, I decided to make this for lunch today. It is very yummy! I added some garlic and butter. Also, I didn't have mushrooms or leeks, so I just added more of the other veggies. Very delicious! Thanks for sharing! I hope you are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, this soup definitely helped. I'm glad you were able to personalize the stew! That's kind of what I like about making stew-you can so easily change it depending on what you like or have around.

      Delete